Friday, January 15, 2010

Paid in moments

The only word I have to describe the way I am feeling on this friday evening is UUUUUGGGGGGG or maybe ARRRRRRRRGGGGG works a little better. I am knee deep in the forever battle of Gabe Vs. sleep and this week the kids and I have gotten some kind of sore throat, runny nose bug that is not very fun. I may have talked about this before on here, if I have it's because I continually struggle with what it means to be a stay at home mom. (and by the way I hate that term, don't know why I just do.) Anyways, yesterday morning I woke up feeling like poop and instead of getting to lay on the couch and watch t.v sipping juice I had to take care of my kids. My sick kids, none the less, who just like I desired, need EXTRA attention, care and love because they were feeling poopy too. So just like I did when we all caught the oink oink flu earlier this year, I started feeling sorry for myself. If I were to voice all my thoughts outloud I would sound like a tweenager saying things like "it's just not fair!" and actually confession - amidst my frusteration, tiredness and self pity yesterday I believe I said to Grace "hey I'm sick too, be nice to me" . Nice one mom, real nice. Anyways, I was feeling sorry for myself, wondering why I don't get sick days, why I don't get raises when I work harder or bonuses at Christmas or whatever. When Gabe smiled at me. And then Grace brought him a toy because he was getting fussy and in her three year old voice said "here you go little buddy". Today Grace told me that when she's five, and a grown up, she's going to make me breakfast all byherself. This is all super corny, its just that I was again reminded- and more quickly this time I think- that I get paid in moments. I get to see things I wouldn't if I was at work, I get to BE with my kids all of the time. Now, I'm not debating anything and staying home isn't the only right way to be a mom, but for me I am learning that this is my choice, no one is making me stay home, and that there are sooo many blessings that come with it. I get paid in moments. The equivilant of a sick day is watching cartoons in bed with Grace instead of folding laundry, and my wonderful husband bringing me a surprise milkshake on his way home from work.

2 comments:

Jessye said...

You are a great mom. 'nuff said =)

ps. if you are sick, you can call in back up. I'll bring you some soup in a heartbeat!

Avery said...

Give me a call and I'll tell Grace to be nice to her mommy when she's sick. :)

She is so my daughter!

She is so my daughter!

Eating

Eating

painting

painting

The lovely grandmas

The lovely grandmas

Getting ready to pray with Monte

Getting ready to pray with Monte

He Proposed!

He Proposed!

The Bride's tea party

The Bride's tea party

The Family

The Family

JR's Wedding

JR's Wedding
The guys

Fourth of July

Fourth of July
Feeding ducks and fish

flowers

flowers

The Cast is OFF!!

The Cast is OFF!!
At the pool having a juice break

My all american girl!



Giving Josh "advice"

Giving Josh "advice"

Grace at the zoo!

Grace at the zoo!
Looking at the fish with Daddy!

Bridal Party

Bridal Party

throwing rocks at fish...whoops

throwing rocks at fish...whoops


Josh and his fish!

Josh and his fish!

So happy!

So happy!

My Favorite pic in the world!

My Favorite pic in the world!


Our trip

Our trip
Enjoying the ride

Cake!

Cake!

The dress

The dress

On Easter playing with bubbles!

our deer friend Penelope

Our trip

Our trip
over the mountain we go!

Playing at the snow park!

She's my little country girl!

The adventure begins

The adventure begins
Dressed for the first day of spring!

The Perfect Night!

The Perfect Night!