Saturday, January 30, 2010

Another day in paradise..












One of my favorite little luxuries (what I have found to be a luxury since having kids) is driving alone. It allows me a little bit of alone time where I am free to think and dream while blasting the radio station or CD of my choice and even though I am driving, I am sitting, which allows me a little bit of rest. So Friday night Josh drove the kids home from Corvallis while I drove his car. We had to meet in town as Grace had her big Gymnastics performance and had to be there early before Josh could get off work.

To say the least, it was both a physically and emotionally exhausting day. Physically, only because Gabe didn't sleep the night before, and emotionally because of Grace. My mom took Gabe all evening so that I could be with Grace at rehersal and give her my full and much needed attention up until her perfomance. She is very much like her mom, I have to say, and always wants to know exactly whats coming up next; where we're going, what we're going to do, who will be there and many many details in between. So Friday was difficult because it was her normal gymnastics class, except new kids from outside her class where there. Her teacher was there but so where a bunch of others. We started in the place where she normally has class but then walked down to the collesium, so there were just lots and lots of little details about the night and for EACH and EVERY one, Grace became concerned. So every time that night that we had a transition Grace pretty much melted down and I thought we might have to just go home. This continued up until the very moment she went on. NONE of the other parents were allowed in the locker room or down on the floor, but they made an exeption for me. And to give Gracie girl some credit she was by far the youngest one there- and I tell you that there is a HUGE difference between 3 and 4, HUGE! Anyways, we got down on the floor of the gymnastics meet, and I really was thinking about how much of a bummer it was to put in so much effort (two saturday practices, practices at home, and that whole afternoon) just to go home without a victory. BUT SHE DID IT!!!! She went out there, waved to the thousands of people surrounding her (and her class) and did the whole routine! I had a moment down there on the floor watching where I started to tear up shamelessly, and was embarrassed to say the least because this was not a big deal to anyone standing around me. This was the first, of what will most likely be many, moments where she goes out, on her own, and shines. I am so proud of her.
Shortly after she completed her routine and was still waiting out on the floor for the "big girls" to fisnish she spotted Benny the Beaver walking behind her daddy who she was waving to, and had a complete melt down. But besides that it was a huge success! Aftwerwards her daddy gave her her very first rose- which another reason she is my mini me- she loved that rose so much she begged to sleep with it that night and has been carrying it around ever since! And then we celebrated with gelato.
So as I was driving home that night after a beautifully exhausting day, I heard the country song "just another day in paradise".
The kids screaming, phone ringing Dog barking at the mailman bringing
That stack of bills - overdue Good morning baby, how are you?
Got a half hour, quick shower Take a drink of milk but the milk's gone sour My funny face makes you laughTwist the top on and I put it back
There goes the washing machine Baby, don't kick it.
I promise I'll fix it Long about a million other things
Well, it's ok. It's so niceIt's just another day in paradiseWell, there's no place thatI'd rather be Well, it's two hearts And one dream I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the lord every night For just another day in paradise
Friday, you're late Guess we'll never make our dinner date
At the restaurant you start to cryBaby, we'll just improvise
Well, plan B looks likeDominoes' pizza in the candle ligh
Then we'll tippy toe to our room Make a little love that's overdue
But somebody had a bad dream Mama and daddy
Can me and my teddy Come in to sleep in between?
Yeah it's ok. It's so nice.It's just another day in paradise.
Well, there's no place thatI'd rather be
Well, it's two hearts And one dream I wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the lord every nightFor just another day in paradise
Well, it's ok. It's so nice.It's just another day in paradise.
Well, there's no place thatI'd rather be
Two heartsAnd one dreamI wouldn't trade it for anything
And I ask the lord every nightFor just another day in paradise
For just another day in paradise
And listening to it just made me think. I'm always trying to figure out how we can get more money, more sleep, more of everything. And as I was listening to the words I pictured our normal scene as Josh comes home from work; Gabe either screaming at me, baby food all over his face, from his high chair, or more likely on my hip but happy, Grace tugging at my shirt begging me to watch her twirl in her princess gown, dinner burning on the stove, my hair a mess along with the rest of the house, and even sometimes on the phone paying a bill or talking with insurance or who knows what. Just like Friday night, there is a lot of time, energy and sacrifice that goes into marriage and parrenting. We don't sleep, don't have lots of time to ourselves, never have enough money. It's stressfull, hard, beautiful and wonderful ......
and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 comment:

Jessye said...

thanks for the reminder.It doesn't always feel like paradise in the moment.

She is so my daughter!

She is so my daughter!

Eating

Eating

painting

painting

The lovely grandmas

The lovely grandmas

Getting ready to pray with Monte

Getting ready to pray with Monte

He Proposed!

He Proposed!

The Bride's tea party

The Bride's tea party

The Family

The Family

JR's Wedding

JR's Wedding
The guys

Fourth of July

Fourth of July
Feeding ducks and fish

flowers

flowers

The Cast is OFF!!

The Cast is OFF!!
At the pool having a juice break

My all american girl!



Giving Josh "advice"

Giving Josh "advice"

Grace at the zoo!

Grace at the zoo!
Looking at the fish with Daddy!

Bridal Party

Bridal Party

throwing rocks at fish...whoops

throwing rocks at fish...whoops


Josh and his fish!

Josh and his fish!

So happy!

So happy!

My Favorite pic in the world!

My Favorite pic in the world!


Our trip

Our trip
Enjoying the ride

Cake!

Cake!

The dress

The dress

On Easter playing with bubbles!

our deer friend Penelope

Our trip

Our trip
over the mountain we go!

Playing at the snow park!

She's my little country girl!

The adventure begins

The adventure begins
Dressed for the first day of spring!

The Perfect Night!

The Perfect Night!