Monday, October 20, 2008

Potty Help!

I need advice from those of you who have kids out of diapers! Grace and I (and Josh) are on our second round of trying potty training. She wasn't ready before, she did it for a couple of days but then didn't want anything to do with it and I didn't want to force her. I've heard and read that forcing potty training can do a lot of harm. This time I thought she was more ready, and things have calmed down and we're finally "home". But its pretty much the same story, sometimes she asks to go, a lot of times I put her on it at what I think are good times, before and after nap and after meals and such, but most of the time she has already gone in her diaper. I know she is only just two. I just feel like I should have three things accomplished by the time she's three, potty trained, out of a crib, and not using a binki at night. What are your thoughts? Are these timelines unneccessary? I was focusing on potty now, because I don't want to do all three changes at the same time.

Help me more experienced moms!

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

Les,

My sis-in-law has twins who turned two back in June and she hasn't even gone there yet and I know Cori and Jessi, with two year olds (b-days in summer) aren't either.

I don't think any of your timelines are a rush. Both my girls potty trained right at three and it went pretty fast at that age. We did the bed thing around there too.

Never had a binkie girl, but that seems like something you could do now and put off the other two.

February Jill said...

Well, of the 3 things, I think potty training is the most important... and the most difficult. My experience, and the advice that was given to me (and worked for me) is that when you are ready to get serious about potty training, get rid of the diapers. Kids will use them as long as they are available.

So gear up for it, buy some training panties with lots of extra absorbency, and figure you'll have a week or two of messes to clean up. But no turning back and it's amazing how quickly they get it. Girls, that is.

Also, remember that night time potty training usually comes later, so don't be ashamed to use those pull-ups!

Jill

Stefanie said...

I got to thinking too Leslie, that of course you may or may not do it at the same time as other moms - the timeline in the end is up to how you think Gracie is developing. But I agree with Jill, that when you decide to do any of the three, stick with it for awhile. And also, just know that your life is going to be a little more chaotic and require more patience. So be easy on yourself - easy dinners, no big mommy projects, and no big guilt if you don't get in those workouts that we all TRY to do...

Every victory is worth your effort. But I do still say that you don't need to hurry on any of them. She's just a babe really - I k now that now after having and growing them up too fast sometimes.

Grateful Disciple said...

Leslie,
I am going to be totally honest with you, I was very lazy when it came to potty training and both of my kids were fairly late in doing it (I won't say how late but it wasn't late enough to keep us out of preschool or anything) They both did it when they were ready. Because I waited so long and they were ready we have had maybe 2 accidents each and that is all. The same went for the binkie. I was ridiculously late in taking that away. What I want you to remember is that the three goals that you have set for yourself and Grace are in no way an indicator as to how good of a Mommy you are. I am not a bad Mom because I was relaxed with those things. You are a fantastic Mom, it is evident to all how much you love Grace. Don't fall into the trap of comparison. It's like Stef already said, you know Grace and her development better than anyone. You are an expert on Grace! Don't feel like you have to have anything accomplished on a timeline. And above all, be patient with yourself and her. Try something new, try methods that other Mom's may suggest but if they don't work, don't beat yourself up. You are doing a great job!

cori_b said...

Hi Leslie,
Potty-training with Gabby was my most horrible mommy experience to date. I felt so much pressure from myself, from others, and from books that I made it a horrible experience for myself and for Gabby. After weeks of trying with Gabby and many tears a wise friend finally told me "she'll do it when she's ready." I finally backed off and a few months later she started asking me to use the potty. So after that experience I have not really tried anything with Haley yet. She has used the potty a few times but only because she has wanted to copy big sister. I'm thinking she will be easier since she has an example. So my only advice is to relax and let her do it when shes ready. Every kid is ready at a different time. Two is still really young. For some reason it seems like kids are pottytraining later these days.

P.S. Your blog picture of you and Grace with the pumpkin is so cute!

Growing Good Golfers said...

I think most parents hate potty training and I was no exception. Owen isn't potty trained yet and I'm just waiting for him to say he is ready. Like Cori, I really thought it would come easier because he has his older brother as an example. But for some reason, that is the ONLY thing he doesn't want to do like his big brother. On another note, I always want kids to stop the binkie and thumbsucking by the time they are 4, although earlier is usually easier for the parents. I took my son to build-a-bear and put the binkies inside. I thought he might try to rip it open, but he didn't and we were done that day!

She is so my daughter!

She is so my daughter!

Eating

Eating

painting

painting

The lovely grandmas

The lovely grandmas

Getting ready to pray with Monte

Getting ready to pray with Monte

He Proposed!

He Proposed!

The Bride's tea party

The Bride's tea party

The Family

The Family

JR's Wedding

JR's Wedding
The guys

Fourth of July

Fourth of July
Feeding ducks and fish

flowers

flowers

The Cast is OFF!!

The Cast is OFF!!
At the pool having a juice break

My all american girl!



Giving Josh "advice"

Giving Josh "advice"

Grace at the zoo!

Grace at the zoo!
Looking at the fish with Daddy!

Bridal Party

Bridal Party

throwing rocks at fish...whoops

throwing rocks at fish...whoops


Josh and his fish!

Josh and his fish!

So happy!

So happy!

My Favorite pic in the world!

My Favorite pic in the world!


Our trip

Our trip
Enjoying the ride

Cake!

Cake!

The dress

The dress

On Easter playing with bubbles!

our deer friend Penelope

Our trip

Our trip
over the mountain we go!

Playing at the snow park!

She's my little country girl!

The adventure begins

The adventure begins
Dressed for the first day of spring!

The Perfect Night!

The Perfect Night!