Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who's the boss?

I posed that question (who's the boss?) to Grace tonight- to which she answered, "Gabe". And she was right. Dinner time is near a disaster almost every night lately. I thought Grace was my strong willed child, but I was wrong. Almost every night Gabe and I battle it out over dinner. What to eat, when to eat, and whether he eats with his binki and lion in hand. Some nights he will scream until I make him peanut butter and Jelly, some nights he will just scream for the 30 minutes I am making dinner. Tonight he wanted his binki and his stuffed lion while he sort of ate what I made for dinner. He won. I've always believed that parents need to be parents, that your children shouldn't run the show. I also thought I knew how to execute that disposition, but I do not. I have been out-willed and out-screamed; something I, a strong willed person myself, am not used to and I don't like it! What do you do? Gabe is 16 months old. He knows "no". But can't understand - "you need to eat what I made you because if all you eat is pbnj you will get scurvy". Do you let him scream? (and I mean for like an hour, he does not back down easily)
When we were battling over sleep, and I didn't want him in our bed, we tried everything and eventually one night I actually fell asleep to him screaming because he had gone on so long, and I was so exhausted. It was horrible, but eventually he started to sleep. Anyways gimmie your solicited advice!
A time out that didn't work

2 comments:

revbradl said...

Love all the pics! The kids are so cute and getting so big! Solicited advice...I'm old school...He knows he will win, that's why he challenges you. Some things aren't worth battling. But, when it comes to meal time, mom shouldn't have to fix multiple meals. If he doesn't eat what's put in front of him, the plate will stay there. No more food until next meal time. If he's hungry enough, he'll eat. Scream all you want, but it will be done from his room with the door shut. Eventually he'll wear himself out, but I sympathize with you because he sounds like a strong one! We only had 1 strong willed child out of 3...sorry. Will be praying for you. Only you know what's best for your kids/family. Kelly

Our great adventure said...

Thanks Kelly! I love hearing advice from someone who did it and SURVIVED it :)
It's harder with the second one too, because the screaming effects everyone. But I think you're right! I'll keep you posted to how it goes, thanks!

She is so my daughter!

She is so my daughter!

Eating

Eating

painting

painting

The lovely grandmas

The lovely grandmas

Getting ready to pray with Monte

Getting ready to pray with Monte

He Proposed!

He Proposed!

The Bride's tea party

The Bride's tea party

The Family

The Family

JR's Wedding

JR's Wedding
The guys

Fourth of July

Fourth of July
Feeding ducks and fish

flowers

flowers

The Cast is OFF!!

The Cast is OFF!!
At the pool having a juice break

My all american girl!



Giving Josh "advice"

Giving Josh "advice"

Grace at the zoo!

Grace at the zoo!
Looking at the fish with Daddy!

Bridal Party

Bridal Party

throwing rocks at fish...whoops

throwing rocks at fish...whoops


Josh and his fish!

Josh and his fish!

So happy!

So happy!

My Favorite pic in the world!

My Favorite pic in the world!


Our trip

Our trip
Enjoying the ride

Cake!

Cake!

The dress

The dress

On Easter playing with bubbles!

our deer friend Penelope

Our trip

Our trip
over the mountain we go!

Playing at the snow park!

She's my little country girl!

The adventure begins

The adventure begins
Dressed for the first day of spring!

The Perfect Night!

The Perfect Night!