Monday, February 16, 2009

Trying not to use the word terrible

Grace and I made yummy valentines









Grace's treat was a date with daddy at the pool




So Grace has basically been a piece of cake from day one. With the exceptions of some very minor rough patches being her mom has been what I would consider fairly smooth. Being a mother is never easy, but being Grace's mom has been the closest too I think you can get. Now Grace if you read this someday, know that even during this somewhat turbulent little phase we may be going through that you are still precious, lovely and a true joy to mother and to be around, I love you and you are beautiful inside and out! -- that being said, I need a drink and I can't have one!!!


I have never liked the term terrible two's. It brings to mind paint on walls, watches in the toilet, and the roles of parent and toddler reversed to the point that mom is sitting in the corner crying by the time dad gets home from work. Well our walls are still white and I don't wear a watch, but the last one has nearly come true, when last week I had to go in the bathroom shut the door and just cry so that I wouldn't totally loose it. I am sure what we are going through could be minimal compared to what others have had to go through, my family doesn't know whether or not to believe that we are even going through a "rough" patch because Grace is in general still quite the gem when we are out or with relatives. However, lately we have had days where the whining doesn't seem to stop, where she says the same word (something she wants like milk) over and over and over and over until she gets it or (finally I've learned) I simply walk away and wait till she's done (which still lasts up to ten minutes!!!) She's hitting, kicking and screaming and sometimes she completely has no idea what she wants and just cries until she gets it! (confused? me too). I remember in my childhood adolescence class that we learned that both in the toddler and teen years alike the frontal cortex of a child grows which causes them to make poor decisions and to be quite emotional. And our frontal cortex is surely growing, and every day, sometimes every hour I have to remember that 1. this is a phase and 2. she is not out to ruin me. It has also caused me to refine my parenting skills, things like when I say I'm going to enforce a certain consequence I actually need to do it, and that she really is a smart girl, I don't have to repeat my instructions a hundred times, she hears me so if she doesn't follow them she's in time out - or whatever. I am learning A LOT. To be consistent, to be loving, and to forget and forgive, after the time out or the "sorry mommy" to be positive and loving and to change the subject!





She is still kind and sweet, I think I am just really struggling with the fact that we are like always disciplining her and I feel like there are less good and loving moments, it doesn't feel good at the end of the day! But I've concluded that we just need to be consistent in both the rules and our love, and the three of us will make it out alive!

(I apologize if this sounded so dramatic but it was my blog therapy for the day, and I feel a little better! )

p.s I posted some pics of our valentines day!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Could it possibly be that she's getting her 2 year molars? I've heard it can be particularly uncomfortable for the young'ens. Just a thought... Right now a lot of fussiness gets blamed on teething at my house, so maybe the same goes for your Gracie. Good luck with this phase, you seem to have such a positive outlook! This too, shall pass. :)

Growing Good Golfers said...

Well, my kids tend to wait until the terrible 3's and so we are going through things like this right now too. Sounds like you have the right attitude! Good luck. You will make it.

Stefanie said...

We do the terrible 2's year too! And with Maisie...it keeps coming... Oh well. You are doing all the right things!!! And more.

And I think you and I were blessed to have our firsts be such easy peasy girls and sweet ones at that! This built our confidence up enough that you can conqueror these "patches" and another child, who may or may not be as easy!

You were right to blog about this, because we can tell you this is SO normal and you and her are SO normal - no still EXTRAORDINARY girls!!

Hang in there...

This is so sad and horrible - but a great friend of Becca's little boy is dying from cancer at age 6. I am praying for them daily and so beside myself at this reality for them. I have been cherishing every moment with my girls since I heard the news and take the normal icky stuff of parenting with more of a grain of salt. Pray for little Darian...

She is so my daughter!

She is so my daughter!

Eating

Eating

painting

painting

The lovely grandmas

The lovely grandmas

Getting ready to pray with Monte

Getting ready to pray with Monte

He Proposed!

He Proposed!

The Bride's tea party

The Bride's tea party

The Family

The Family

JR's Wedding

JR's Wedding
The guys

Fourth of July

Fourth of July
Feeding ducks and fish

flowers

flowers

The Cast is OFF!!

The Cast is OFF!!
At the pool having a juice break

My all american girl!



Giving Josh "advice"

Giving Josh "advice"

Grace at the zoo!

Grace at the zoo!
Looking at the fish with Daddy!

Bridal Party

Bridal Party

throwing rocks at fish...whoops

throwing rocks at fish...whoops


Josh and his fish!

Josh and his fish!

So happy!

So happy!

My Favorite pic in the world!

My Favorite pic in the world!


Our trip

Our trip
Enjoying the ride

Cake!

Cake!

The dress

The dress

On Easter playing with bubbles!

our deer friend Penelope

Our trip

Our trip
over the mountain we go!

Playing at the snow park!

She's my little country girl!

The adventure begins

The adventure begins
Dressed for the first day of spring!

The Perfect Night!

The Perfect Night!